The Anesthesia Intensivist Ward Physician works is in the Anesthesiology Services Division, providing anesthesia services. Anesthesiology services are provided on 24-hours a day bases, the main working area is located in the intensive care areas and extend to all in-patient and out-patient areas within our Health Center. The incumbent will provide health care management for critically ill patients and other outpatient and inpatient population. The incumbent will perform their duties under the professional supervision of the staff specialist and/or the Chief of the Anesthesia Services Division.
• Graduation from a recognized medical school MD.
• One year of internship in a recognized training programme.
• Three years of Residency training in specialty in a recognized training program, plus #’s 5, 6 & 7.
• Two years of Residency training in a specialty in a recognized training program, plus three years of experience in a recognized hospital in the field of his/her specialty, plus #’s 5, 6 & 7.
• Must hold a valid license to practice medicine.
• Excellent command of verbal and written English.
• Ability to adjust to group practice in an industrial environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Ward Physician to support ICU.
• To evaluate patients in the Emergency Room at the request of Emergency Medical Service physicians.
• Assists in admission procedures of patients to the in-patient service, whether it is ICU or a general ward.
• Performs initial work-up and evaluation of patients admitted to the ward.
• Follow-up patients during the hospital stay and plan the management of these patients under the supervision of the attending specialist.
• Make daily rounds on the in-patient service and make management decisions under the supervision of the attending specialist and in consultation with the various sub-specialty services.
• Makes discharge plans and discharges patients home or to another facility in consultation with attending specialists.
• Dictates Discharge Summaries.
• Provides on-call coverage for the in-patient service on a rotational basis (on average once every 4 days). When on-call, the Ward Physician must stay in the hospital to respond to requests of the nurses to evaluate patients.
• Obtain the assistance of other specialists or various sub-specialists when in need, especially when the patient is facing a life-threatening situation.
• Performs procedures as indicated and outlined in the incumbent’s request for privileges and approved by the Credentials Committee.
• Provides escort services to patients transferred to other hospitals.
• Provides supervision and education to the Professional Development Physicians and Interns.
• Attends and participates in the monthly staff meeting of the Anesthesiology Service.
• Participates and contributes to all educational activities of the service (ie Jornal Club, Ward Physician Teaching Conferences).
• Participates and contributes to all the quality improvement activities of the Service (ie daily morning Chief of Service report, monthly Mortality and Morbidity Conferences and Peer Review)
• Provides services to the out-patient clinic and follow-up of certain patients discharged from the hospital.